Monday, February 16, 2009

Conflict can be good


My wife, Zoe, and I went to a play Valentines Day evening. The romantic comedy, "I do, I do!" was fun, but it was also realistic about the struggles that come with long-term relationships.

Conflict is not bad, per se. It is actually normal. And it can be an opportunity for growth and positive change.

While unresolved conflict may destroy relationships, conflict can be managed in a positive way, so that relationships can be maintained both during and after a dispute is settled.

But working through conflict can be hard work. For example, unless you can convince the other side you understand how they see it, you probably cannot explain your side to them. That requires both skill and work.

The alternative--unhealthy or broken relationships--pains me. If we avoid conflict, we avoid relationships. They go together. Struggles are normal in relationships. Good relationships require love: accepting, living with, even appreciating the peculiarities of other; and forgiving and being forgiven. I need help with that. How about you?

No comments: